The pioneer Ocean swimmer at Mollymook in 1999, now at Charleville Qld.
John Sarich (Smeeth) who pioneered the original ocean swimmers at Mollymook is now retired in the outback town, Charleville Qld. John provides this update: “After several year’s hiatus, I’m rekindling my love for swimming. All the rivers up here are a series of permanent waterholes and only flow after good rain. The Ward River (pictured) is 25k west of Charleville. It is a great spot for open water swimming and I have it all to myself during the week. Had a mate take some pics and video so I could check my stroke. Its Looking good so its all about fitness now. I wear fins because the water is black underneath the surface, have a look at the water coming off my hand in one of the pics. Also wear fins in case I throw my arm over a snake. These days I’m always swimming on my own. I do miss the ocean, but am loving my life. Take care, guys, catch up soon. Ciao. John” (A couple of more pics below)
Local Mollymook Ocean Swimmers news
- Advised by President Rod Austin that the Surf Club Management have taken the decision not to conduct a Mollymook Ocean swim this year due to being under resourced. They are conducting the ASRL Boat carnival next Friday, Saturday and Sunday and are struggling to get sufficient volunteers. Thereafter they have committed competitors and require volunteers for the NSW State Surf Titles during March and ditto for the National Surf Titles during April.
- Heather thoroughly enjoyed her two weeks with the Mollymook Swimmers culminating in a beautiful birthday cake for all and sundry.
- Issi got this classic pic below of the boys backing up for more birthday cake.
- Kim had her final mid-week swim before heading up to Sydney. (Hopes to get down here on weekends for more ocean swimming).
- Details below for the Shellharbour Ocean Swim.
- Link to an interesting article on: The ‘Blue Fleet’ blows onto the Australian East Coast.
- The ‘White Wash’ magazine in due out this week. The magazine will be available at most of the coffee shops in Milton and Ulladulla. Their feature article is on the Mollymook Ocean Swimmers. Virginia has done a great job. A MUST READ!
Ken B., Mollymook Beach Waterfront: Editor for Mollymook News, Destination Mollymook Milton Ulladulla and Mollymook Ocean Swimmers